Posted on May 31 2016
Last weekend I was at Generation Beauty in Toronto. Check out my last blog post to learn more about what GenBeauty is!
So today’s blog post I want to do an event recap. One of the biggest goal of this event is learning new makeup tricks and tips, as well as, trying new makeup products. The past week I had so much fun trying all the new goodies I got from GenBeauty and I will be sharing the top ten must-have products.
This event is perfect for all makeup lovers, the passion and energy in the venue was overwhelming. Each booth had energetic professional makeup artists and I learned so many tips and product recommendations from them.
The lines are long, long and long. So when you register, you get a pass along with a passport of tickets.
Each booth has ticket, you have to line up to redeem them. The wait time for each booth was at least 15 minutes. I definitely do recommend going with a friend, to help each other redeem samples. I did overhear some people not being able to redeem their sample because the event was over. It is extremely important to arrive on time for both days. The lines for the bigger brands like Makeup Forever, Too Faced, Tarte, was all around an hour to two hour wait time. I find it kind of unfortunate for those who did not receive their Makeup Forever samples because they closed the line for the day. Their makeup sample was around $100 value. There were a few full-size samples which are amazing. So when picking the booths to line up for, you got to choose wisely. Fortunately, I was able to pick up all my samples. (IMAGE: http://instagram.com/dreamthemoment)
So, here are my top 10 samples that I would definitely buy again.
- This is my new favorite product discovered at GenBeauty, the new (I am not sure how new it is, but I think it’s new?) Smashbox X-RATED Mascara. I can’t believe I am saying this, but I might replacing my Better than Sex by Too Faced for this one. I was able to snag two mini samples, and I am waiting for my paycheck to come in, so I can pick up a full size at Sephora. The brush of the mascara help separate my lashes so well. It kind of reminds me of LancomeHypnose Drama brush. The Lancome one retails for $33, the Smashbox retails for $25, based on Sephora prices. My lashes are pretty thin, so the length and volume is on point with this mascara. It is also a very lightweight mascara which gives me the perfect natural look. (IMAGE: http://fancieland.com/2016/02/page/4/)
- I am proud to say I was at the Too Faced Born this Way Concealer launch, woot!! The Born this Way concealer is available June 15th and I got my hands on a full size in the shade light. The ambassadors at the Too Faced booth was explaining how there are a great deal of skincare benefits added in this concealer. It is made from coconut water, alpine rose and hyaluronic acid – all gives your face a boost. I find that the coverage is a great, a small amount goes a long way. I think I am more excited about being one of the first to get my hands on this than using the product! But, it is a Too Faced product, and like I have never gone wrong with a Too Faced product, so need I say more? Check out how cute the Too Faced booth was! We were also given these cute heart wooden chip to play a game with to win more samples!
- Cakebeauty was a booth at GenBeauty. It was my first time trying out their brand, but I am liking it so far. Cakebeauty is a cruelty-free, paraben-free, and phthalate-free, plus it is made in Canada. They have a few product line, I was lucky enough to try two from their Delectable by Cake Beauty line. The first product I tried and love is their Vanilla and Cream triple moisture body lotion. My hands are super dry, so I have been mainly using this for my hands. It indulge softness for sure, the minute I put the lotion on, I can already feel the richness and smoothness. And, what’s evenbetter is that it smells sooo good. It is also good to know that their products are natural ingredient-driven and gmo-free.
- The second product my Cake Beauty I am very eager to continue using is the Delectable Everything Balm. This was a mini sample I redeemed from my ticket. The ambassadors at the Cake Beauty booth explained how there are more than 21 innovation uses for this product. A few uses that caught my attention includes: brighten dark circles, tame brows, pops cheekbones, reduce itchiness, plumps pouts, and enhance growth in eyelashes. On their website, it says that the main ingredient is natural castor oil, it is known to stimulate the production of collagen and elastin, encourage hair, brow, lash strength and growth. The product is stimulated with shea butter, coconut oil, cocoa butter and sunflower seed oil. I have been applying this to my lash line for the past three days, I haven’t seen a change yet, but I will be using it the new few weeks. Fingers crossed that it works!
- The Dew the Hoola liquid bronzer made it to my list. I have used this product before via a sample size and it worked great. I am more of a powder bronzer person. But for those who like a liquid bronzer, this one applies on very smoothly. It has a soft-matte finish and blends seamlessly. It also smells soo good. This was the Benefit booth!
- Make Up Forever!! Their Aqua XL eye pencil is the bomb. Make Up Forever teamed up with Charli XCX and created the Aqua XL eye pencil line. So during genbeauty, the booth ambassadors used the XL eye pencils and drew a small picture on our hands. It stayed there all day. I washed my hands, it didn’t come off. Rubbed it on everything, didn’t smudge, it didn’t rub off. It I amazing. Even with soap, it took a good scrub. This formula is amazing, the colour is rich and it glides on super smooth. It works well as a tight line or as a smudge. Make Up For Ever had a snapchat filter!!
- Pur~lisse beauty is a new company I learned from this event. They are beauty through Asian wisdom with modern philosophy. I met Jennifer Yen, the owner of Pur~lisse, she is such a sweetheart. She explained how the products are natural and through a formula passed down from her family. The products are a bit more expensive than what I would usually spend. I got a mini sample of their eye serum which helps with dryness and dark spot. I also picked up the blue lotus + seaweed sheet mask that I look forward to trying next week.
- Another new brand I tried out this weekend is Rock your Hair. I met the owner, Michael O’Rourke and he was introducing a few of his products. One of the product I tried and got a sample of is their Spray it Hard hairspray. This hairspray is unique because it dries quick and when it dries, it it weightless. It doesn’t stick or tangle. I got a first-hand experience with spraying the hairspray directly on to my hand, and it doesn’t feel like anything. It holds curls and volume great. It also leaves the hair smooth and shiny. These are sold for $25 for two, so the price is pretty average.
- This is a product I have tried before, and I got a sample from GenBeauty – the photo finish primer by Smashbox. Always a classic favourite. Does the job super well, leave my face with a smooth matte base and leaves zero sign of shine.
- Lastly, Luxie Beauty was there. I got a sample of their 680 pro precision brush. Their brush collection was very soft, and this particular brush gives a great control when applying cream products. Their brushes are pink, so it is super cute. I personally already have a great set of makeup brushes, but these were very popular amongst other, the line to purchase their brushes was long!
Check out all the samples given out this event!! (IMAGE: https://www.instagram.com/k.omal/)